Online giving grew 8% in 2016 but don’t forget Snail Mail! If you have followed me for any length of time you will know that I am a huge proponent of online giving. I believe digital giving is here to stay and the sooner we accept that the better off we will be. Having said that let me state that online giving still only accounts for 10% of all charitable giving!
What this means for you and your church is you had better not have all your eggs in one basket! I have been preaching multiple platforms for some time. To be a fully funded church we must utilize all platforms.
To truly be effective you need to think of combining both online and direct mail. The research firm Dunham + Company discovered that…
- 3 X’s as many donors say they are prompted to give online in response to a direct mail appeal.
- 50% of donors prefer to give online when they receive a letter in the mail.
- The above statistics were true for all age segments EVEN Senior Adults!
This is a major reason why in essentially every piece of snail mail that I write for clients I always include a link to their online portal.
The Three Musts of an Effective Direct Mail Letter
The following are my absolutely musts for every letter.
- Highlight key sentences with bold type or underlined type. Even the best written letter will be skimmed by the average reader. Highlighted text draws the eye to your major points.
- Always include a P.S. Studies show the P. S. almost always gets read. Here is where I typically include a reminder about online giving.
- Always include a postage paid envelope for ease of use. Remember the easier you make it for donors to respond the more likely they will.
All of the above assumes you have a well thought out and carefully crafted letter. When I write a letter for a client I put a lot of time and thought into the process. As a pastor I would never have got in the pulpit to preach without preparation. The same goes for any appeal you write.
So remember, one of the best ways to be fully funded is to utilize good old fashioned U.S. Mail!
Mark Brooks The Stewardship Coach
I can help you write you next letter with my e-book, “Turbo Charge Your Letters.” Get your copy at Turbo Charge Your Letters